Please note: Students do not need to be enrolled at CSULB to take this course. To register, simply complete the payment process for the full program on the MindEdge website.
Six Sigma Basics
Professional Development Course
Six Sigma is a method developed to help collaborative organizations improve their performance by reducing waste using statistical analysis. This self-paced Six Sigma Basics course explains the concepts, strategies, tools, and techniques learners will need to complete process improvement projects and activities using the Six Sigma method. Throughout the course, learners will be tested on their understanding and comprehension of course topics through challenging exercises, interactive games, and case study assignments. Learners should have some previous exposure to project and process management practices.
The curriculum balances academic excellence with real-world practice, featuring text, video, interactivity, adaptive learning technology, quiz banks, and other features not available in a traditional textbook.
The program, offered by California State University, Long Beach (CSULB) in partnership with MindEdge, is divided into eight courses that explain key foundational Six Sigma information.
This course does not require any additional purchases of supplementary materials.
- Professionals at all levels who want to learn how to use the core concepts of Six Sigma to make better business decisions
- Those who want to apply tools and methodologies to solve critical business process problems
- This program is entirely online, in a self-paced instructor-facilitated format that allows learners to study at their own pace and on their own schedule.
- Each course also includes comprehensive quizzes and tests that learners can use to gauge their progress and prepare for the 50-question exam at the program’s end.
- Video segments from subject matter experts also supplement the course material, to provide real-world examples and an enhanced understanding of important concepts and best practices.
- This course has an "Ask the Expert" feature, which submits your questions directly to an expert in the field you are studying. Questions are answered as quickly as possible and usually within 24 hours.
- Concepts, tools, techniques, and strategies used in Six Sigma projects
- The five stages of the DMAIC methodology
- Specific tools and techniques in support of process improvement activities
- Roles and responsibilities of team members that ensure participation in project assignments
- The interrelationships of tasks, activities, and practices in Six Sigma projects
- It guides students through the five steps of the “Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, Control” (DMAIC) methodology, and demonstrate how a Six Sigma approach can benefit organizations in several, diverse industries or business sectors.
- Course assignments detail the tools and skills learners will implement as they apply a Six Sigma approach to process improvement activities, and show practitioners how they can contribute as important members of teams.
The course can be completed in an estimated length of 32 hours, with online access to the course available to students for 180 days.
While this program covers the same concepts, strategies, tools, and techniques as our Six Sigma Green Belt Exam Prep program, the Six Sigma Basics program does not grant access to the MindEdge Six Sigma Green Belt Certification Exam. The cost of the certification exam is included in the Green Belt exam prep course, but the cost of the Six Sigma Basics course does not cover the cost of the certification exam; if you decide that you would like to pursue Green Belt certification after you have completed this introductory course, you may do so for an additional fee.