The Office of International Education and Global Engagement (IEGE) is responsible for fulfilling the university’s global mission to engage students, scholars, faculty, and staff in various international education activities. Our primary task is to assist CSULB students in graduating with the knowledge and cultural competency needed to take global leadership and service roles.
Through departments such as the Center for International Education, the American Language Institute, and Study Abroad, we host international education activities, as well as social and cultural events, throughout the year. We welcome more than 3,000 international students from over 100 countries to the CSULB campus, while offering study abroad opportunities in over 60 destinations worldwide. In addition, we support CSULB and international faculty with opportunities to be placed as exchange and visiting scholars for teaching, research and service.
The IEGE works in concert with senior campus leadership, the faculty senate and its International Education Committee, as well as all administrative units, colleges and departments.
The major responsibilities of IEGE are to:
- Advise the President and Provost on emerging trends in international education, so that the university can align its global mission accordingly to serve the campus community;
- Develop and foster key strategic partner institutions overseas;
- Create new study abroad and global internship opportunities for students;
- Work with individual faculty and faculty groups to explore international teaching and research opportunities;
- Promote international teaching and learning through curricular integration and the infusion of global content in new and existing courses;
- Provide incentives for faculty to engage in international education activities, both on campus and globally;
- Coordinate visiting delegations from partner institutions and other prospective university partners, government agencies, and industries;